MagVenture receives FDA clearance for OCDFDA has cleared MagVenture TMS Therapy® for adjunct treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
This marks MagVenture's second indication in the US. MagVenture TMS Therapy is already FDA cleared for the treatment of major depressive disorder.
MagVenture TMS Therapy is an adjunct treatment to existing OCD therapies which may involve pharmaceutical and behavioral therapy. It is an out-patient procedure with no systemic side effects. The treatment specifically targets the networks in the brain which are known to be particularly affected by OCD, including the deeper-lying structures.
“We have worked closely with brain researchers for well over 25 years, providing numerous TMS solutions to help advance the field of neuroscience – both basic and applied. Expanding the treatment options to include other indications than major depressive disorder, such as OCD, is one more important step towards helping more adult patients improve their mental health,” says VP of Sales, MagVenture Inc, Kerry Rome.
MagVenture TMS Therapy for OCD
- OCD treatment coil specifically designed to reach deeper cortical structures
- Easily integrated with your current MagVenture TMS Therapy® system
- To be used as an adjunct to current medical or behavioral therapy
- A technology which precisely targets the area in the brain your need to reach
What is OCD?
- MagVenture has most FDA cleared treatment options:
- 3, 19, and 37 minute MDD protocols
- 18 minute OCD protocol
- Allows you to do deep or focal TMS
- Shortest FDA cleared TMS protocol for major depressive disorder available: 3 minute Express TMS which has the same proven efficacy as the standard, longer protocols
- Dedicated staff for ongoing support: technical, clinical, reimbursement and marketing
OCD is a mental health disorder characterized by unreasonable thoughts and fears (obsessions) which lead to repetitive behavior (compulsions). OCD can severely affect one’s daily life and routines and cause distress or even functional impairment. Although pharmaceutical and psychological interventions are available, some OCD patients experience limited results from these and need more therapeutic options.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) uses magnetic pulses to stimulate a specific area in the brain in order to improve the OCD symptoms. TMS is a well-established, FDA cleared option for people suffering from treatment-resistant Major Depressive Disorder and available throughout the US at numerous psychiatric practices and hospitals. MagVenture TMS Therapy® was FDA cleared for depression in 2015 and the first company to receive FDA clearance for the 3-minute Express TMS® – the shortest TMS treatment currently available.
MagVenture TMS Therapy® FDA clearances: “As an adjunct for the treatment of adult patients suffering from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)” and “Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode.”
Please note, the OCD treatment is currently only approved in the US by the FDA. The usage of TMS for any other purpose than the cleared indication, in the country in which the product is intended to be used, is considered investigational.